Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Kale Soup

A few years ago while on a business trip I stopped at a small restauraunt in New Bedford where they served a bowl of soup before your meal. It was a cold day and the soup was incredible. When I got home I googled kale soup and found a recipe that came the closest to what they had served. That evening I went home and the whole family turned up their noses as I cooked the kale. After convincing them just to at least try it they were all hooked. Now they all can't wait for cold weather to come around so I will make it again. Maddie called me yesterday and asked if I would cook it last night, so I did. I always make a double batch so we can eat on it for a few days. I thought I would share the recipe:

1 pound bulk pork sausage
2 medium onions -- chopped
2 Tablespoons olive or vegetables oil
2 cloves garlic -- minced
3 14 1/2 oz. chicken broth
2 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 pound fresh kale -- chopped
3 medium potatoes -- peeled and cubed
2 15 1/2 oz kidney beans -- rinsed and drained

Cook sausage and onions in oil for 5 minutes or until sausage is browned; drain. Add garlic (I add way more than the recipe calls for because I love garlic) cook for 1-2 min. In a large pot add cooked sausage, broth, water, bouillon and kale; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; leaving the cover ajar, simmer for 1 hour. Add the potatoes and cook for 15 min. Add the beans; cook until potatoes are tender and beans are heated through. I also cook some elbow macaroni and rinse then throw it in right at end so it doesn't get over cooked. Yield 10-12 servings

9 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing, Tadd! I will definitely try this; our family just loves soup. Good homemade soup with a loaf of crusty hot bread is about as blissful as it gets! I'll let you know when I use your recipe and I'll even post a few pics of our efforts. Do you think it would be okay to use turkey sausage instead??

Tadd Stickler said...

Gobble Gobble! Turkey should be good too. I love making soups, I will share my other recipes as I make them, need to remember to snap a photo next time.

Abigail said...

Ooooh...this sounds really good!

I will do a trade off with you, Tadd. The next time you come for a visit (or we come to visit you), you make the soup, and I will make you the dessert of your choice. Deal?

Abigail said...

I can't wait to see all your recipes! If this one turns out good for me, I'll post a link to your site for the recipe. Hey, anyone who make kale soup that an eleven-year-old (you little Maddie) likes must be a pretty good chef!

Mary said...

The comment above is from me, I was signed in under Ab's account ;o)

Tadd Stickler said...

Sounds like a deal Abbey! You will have to let me know what desserts are your specialty.

Mary said...

Hey Tadd - will you please clarify the chicken broth? I'm assuming it's 3 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) but I've learned that it's not good to assume anything!

Tadd Stickler said...

Three cans, I usually buy the big box though....

Abigail said...

OK Tadd -

It's up to you.

I can make a really good Blueberry cobbler. If you don't like blueberries, we can do a peach cobbler, or an apple crisp or even mix the fruit up.

Or, I can make a chocolate dessert. It's all up to you : o )